Taken from my notes for Sigma Consulting presentation on InterContinental Hotel UX design. Presented at Internet World May 12.
Some good ideas in doing a UX design that I caught from a very good talk.
Start with a user survey,
- Online server like SurveyMonkey
- Keep it short, provide a status bar to the survey
- Try to get 80-100 user responses to start
- Multiple choice questions make easier survies that are easier to analyze
- Best way to get direct feedback
- Create a prototype during a session
- Show an interface to the users as quickly as possible
- Try to keep the groups of under 10 people
- Test usability before coding for obvious risk reduction
- Again always run groups with a facilitator and a note taker
- Think about eye tracking, this will let you follow the users exploration of a site
UX design and is agile and bringing the users from the start will produce a more engaged community of users and a community of champion users.