Thursday, 31 March 2011
Wednesday, 30 March 2011
The deal demonstrates the rapidly growing interest in how companies use social media to connect with customers.
Salesforce.com itself recently began to sell a social media tool for companies.
Another social media player, Jive, meanwhile announced that top managers from Google and Facebook had joined its board, a clear sign that it is getting ready for a stock market flotation."
He will replace fellow co-founder Evan Williams, who has stepped back from daily involvement with Twitter but will remain on the board.
The announcement was tweeted by chief executive Dick Costolo who wrote that he was "excited" by the return.
Mr Dorsey followed up the tweet, saying that he was "thrilled".
He says he intends to remain chief executive of a mobile payments service called Square, which is located near Twitter's San Francisco headquarters.
"As executive chairman, Jack will dive into work with more than 450 people, led by an experienced executive team," Twitter said in a company statement.
"The timing is fortuitous; not only is Twitter experiencing record growth, but we also now have a new infrastructure that will keep us ahead of that growth and enable us to launch products that will make Twitter more instant, simple and always present," the statement said.
Read more here-BBC
- Social media as a tool of branding is very new and there is a lack of uniform methods and measures.
- This lack of methods and measures will almost certainly be short lived as firms ask for ROI on money spend in Social Media.
- This will start an age of unprecedented data collection.
- Social media certainly removes much of the power of a companies brand from its own marketing and PR people, and moves it to the social community. Brands need to be "raised right" and leave home to be right.
- Social networks could make brand identity even more important, as the world of Internet becomes more as a mob it will be more important to have a solid reputation and even harder to obtain it.
- Open Social Community will not, therefore, end the "brand" as we know it. In the opinion of presenter after presenter it will make it more important, but branding is their jobs.
- Companies need to learn from their mistakes. Getting 'punked' in media, learning to deal with the social media properties, information getting out there requires that brands be more authentic and deal more with feedback. If you delete user comments in one forum you will get 'punked' on alternative parts of the social network.
- Companies need to move beyond the "no bad news and no failures" mentality, and many branders expressed a unwillingness to delete any comment.
- A community based brand can, when being 'punked' or trolled, actually defend itself. This was an experience recently with Smart Car.
- Does your corporate twitter page have photos embedded, maybe on the side? People will respond much more positively to a person than a corporate image.
- Does you twitter pages have its message clearly? People should be able to clearly understand what the twitter site is about from reading its introduction.
- Does you site have clear links to your web page?
- Are you engaging? A twitter page should be more of a forum or space than just another channel for corporate communications.
Tuesday, 29 March 2011
The history of the past 40 years is that Economic models can make better predictions when they are not being used by governments to set policy. Once the academic concept of social capital becomes an essential part of our lives will it be gamed by rational agents in to having no value?
Track the intensity of tweeting in real time during the SMWF conference. Use the High Definition Mode to see if the tweeting really takes off during the day.
Update: we are starting to see the tweets rise as we move to the 9:10 am start of the first sessions. Should see them exploded pretty soon so remember to turn your geo-tagging.
Monday, 28 March 2011
"Everyone loves loyalty points. But it’s often a pain to get them because different companies all have their own programs that require you to remember numbers. Topguest’s goal is to unify that experience by letting you earn points simply by checking-in on social networks like Foursquare and Facebook. And now they’re adding a new layer to the mix:Instagram photos.
Yes, beginning today when the integration goes fully live, you’ll be able to earn reward points at venues around the world simply by taking a picture and sharing it on Instagram. This may mean hotel points, air miles, or other benefits at the over 10,000 places Topguest currently works with. All you have to do is link up Topguest to your Instagram account (viatheir new API) and make sure your picture is geotagged at the venue.
To celebrate the launch, Virgin America is launching a special competition. The most-liked Instagram photos taken at various Virgin America-related venues (like airport terminals) will win 1,000 bonus Elevate points (their frequent flyer program). They’ll be giving this reward away on a weekly basis. For context, regular Instagrams at Virgin America spots will earn 25 points."
Saturday, 26 March 2011
'There were almost 63 million users of MySpace in February 2011, down from more than 73 million.
'Year on year the site has lost almost 50 million users, down from close to 110 million in February 2010."
We are seeing levels of high concentrated tweeting around the start of the protest now that we have never seen for any location anywhere. We are some some of the most concentrated tweeting in one location for one event we have ever seen anywhere, including Tahrir when Mubarak fell. In fact the numbers are blowing anything we have ever seen in Egypt out of the water.