Sunday, 8 September 2013

In defence of the small computer vs the tablet

As a researcher in Web 3.0 much of the content I look at comes from small, highly controlled devices like iPhones or Android.  But looking at the current trends in the web from a wider angle I have to say people need to start thinking more and more about the control and limitations moving to small controlled devices will causes.

It took me 1 minute to build a puppy virtual machine, why is a $100 puppy laptop not the hot item

I do love my iPad, don't get me wrong.  But my concern is that the configurable, programmable, open source platform that gives power to the user is being replaced by computing as a toy.  I would like to see a move to more laptops running light weight Linux like Puppy.  This would give the mobility in a Open Sourced innovation.

Puppy gives you a light weight OS that essentially can do what the Mac OS does, so why not start developing light weight computers.
Makers need to be able to crack things open and play, and I fear that the playgrounds are being controlled more and more by Apple and Google, providing play grounds that simply reinforce their control of the marketplace.

Cory Doctorow: The coming war on general computation [28C3]

No comments:

Post a Comment